Tuesday, January 10, 2012

14 weeks of mini pledges

This year, the hubbs and I decided to start cutting processed foods from our diet by starting 14 weeks of mini pledges. You've probably seen the blog 100 days of real food on pinterest and maybe on facebook. It was started by a wife and mother of 2 that wanted to cut the crud out of her family's diets. She is way braver than I, and considerably more disciplined. She has different challenges on her site to help you cut out processed food and fill your diet with better nutrition. We chose the 14 weeks of mini pledges because it was the easiest and most manageable option. We didn't want to aim too high, and be disappointed with ourselves, and we didn't want to have to throw everything in our pantry/fridge out because we (shamefully) eat A LOT of processed foods.

We're doing our challenge weeks on a Monday-Sunday schedule to allow for grocery shopping on Sunday(this just works best with our schedule).

We started on January 9th with week 1 - "Two fruits and/or vegetables per meal – Eat a minimum of two different fruits or vegetables (preferably organic) with every breakfast, lunch, and dinner meal."

Can I just say that's a lot of fruit and veggies? That's a lot of eating period. Ok, moving on.

Day 1 went pretty well. We had stocked up on fruits and veggies the night before, and were excited about the new challenge. I had blueberries with toast at breakfast, and planned to have a fruit as my mid morning snack.

Then someone brought donuts to work. Dunkin' Donuts.

I resisted the urge to stuff a donut in my face ONLY because I STILL hadn't eaten my tangelo, and as I told my co-workers, "I can't fail this new challenge on the FIRST day with the FIRST meal!"

Lunch rolled around and I added broccoli to my shirmp fettuccine alfredo and took an apple with me to work for a snack in the afternoon.

I forgot about the apple until after dinner.

::facepalm::

So I had an apple for dessert after our pizza dinner. Tomato sauce counts as a veggie right? ;o)

I will say that I was not as hungry on day 1 as I usually am, and I obviously avoided unhealthy snacks due to needing to meet my quota.

Score 1 for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive criticism is always welcome or just leave a note to say you stopped by. Thanks for looking!