Friday, February 5, 2010

Influence

I've joined this online class (if that's the right word?) to help improve my photography skills and learn more about what I want my photos to reflect. The first lesson was voice and I spent a couple of hours photography Nikki's dogs for that one.

This week's lesson was influences and it was a tough one.

"Influences enhance a vision that is already there within you.

Seeing the way that other artists see their world helps ME see my world uniquely. Through out this post I'll be including pictures and designs that resonate with me deep inside somewhere, and somehow affect my own photography and VISION."

"A few questions -

Where do you go to find inspiration?

What usually excites you and why? What does that tell you about yourself?

What grabs your attention?"

So I pondered over what influenced me, what works from other artists take my breath away, and why they grab me like they do. First of all, music inspires me. It unlocks my soul. As I was editing the photos from this assignment I listened to Shawn McDonald who is my absolute favorite singer. In college I would lock myself in my room and play his cds and my soul would worship and experience the Lord in a way that no other artist has moved me. My reason for doing photography is to capture the beauty of God's creation in a form that can be enjoyed longer than the original moment may have lasted. I also love this picture that is hanging in our hallway
The colors and the scenery are so beautiful and serene...I just love it. The moment I saw it I had to have it. I hung it where I could enjoy it from my crafting area.

As for photographers I absolutely adore Stacy Reeves. Her work just screams love and beauty and its modern with a vintage touch. Its timeless. I like timeless. I wish I had known about her for my wedding.

So, in my images today I tried to capture the beauty around me, the essence of the subject, and add a little vintage flair. Now, I prefer to photograph animals, they're so entertaining, so most of these are of my dog. :o)

Mmmm...Carpet

Please put the camera away.

See, I can lay like a normal dog.

And lastly I threw in one of myself. Nice to meet you.

Hello

Thanks for looking! Have a BLESSED weekend and GO COLTS! Go Peyton!

4 comments:

  1. I love Stacy's photos as well. She is the one that shot my bridesmaid Carrie's wedding. They flew her to NYC so they could take pictures in times square and central park.

    Super cute picture of you too. You look adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit. Your blog is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of yourself is sure pretty! I hope this is a really fun journey for you as you learn more about photography and capture beauty for God's glory and for the rest of us who have zero talent with a camera!

    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GO COLTS!!! Just found your blog and look forward to getting to know you. Come join my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism is always welcome or just leave a note to say you stopped by. Thanks for looking!